- Dillingham Intermediate School
Fred Douglass, Sory, and SHS in-person learners will return to school on Dec. 1. Dillingham to remain closed until Dec. 7
Students who were learning in-person, prior to the Thanksgiving holiday, at Fred Douglass, Sory Elementary and Sherman High School will return to campus on Tuesday, December 1, 2020. Dillingham Intermediate students will return on Monday, December 7. The school day will operate normally and will begin at the normal start time.
Technology devices that were checked out will need to be returned this week. Parents may send their child with their SISD devices to school to be checked in once the students arrive on campus.
As we return to in-person learning this week, please remember the following:
- Wear a mask, social distance when feasible, wash your hands, and regularly use hand sanitizer. This is more important than ever due to the increasing number of Covid-19 cases in our community.
- Continue to monitor your child for symptoms daily. If symptoms develop, we encourage you to keep your child home and notify your primary care doctor for instructions. Additionally please report positive cases to your campus nurse here.
- Please perform a daily health screening before entering any Sherman ISD bus, campus, or building to ensure you are free of all COVID-19 symptoms. And review the Operation Reconnect Plan for all safety and entry criteria.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your child's health, please contact your child's primary care doctor for instructions.
We look forward to welcoming our students back to campus.
Dillingham Intermediate students will remain virtual until December 7
Throughout the week of Thanksgiving, Sherman ISD staff continued to monitor the health status of our students and teachers at Dillingham Intermediate. Unfortunately, the number of teachers who have tested positive for COVID-19 has doubled since November 20. Despite reassigning existing substitute teachers and all available Dillingham staff members, we are unable to fill these teaching positions for this week. Dillingham Intermediate will remain virtual through Friday, December 4, 2020. On Friday, we will reassess this situation and confirm our projected return date of Monday, December 7, via email.
While we know this extended time of online learning presents challenges for some families, it is necessary to allow our teachers to heal and prevent us from bringing students back to school tomorrow, only to have to send them home again before the end of the week.
Please know that our priority is to provide in-person learning for all students. However, decisions to pivot to distance learning or return to school are based on the ever-changing impact of COVID-19 throughout our community. While we are doing all we can to continue in-person learning for all, until this pandemic is under control, the possibility that there will be a need to shift to on-line learning again remains constant.
Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding as we continue to make adjustments and educate our students in the safest way possible.