Dr. Jill Schurr, Director of Special Education
The Sherman Independent School District Department of Special Education, in partnership with parents and the community, is committed to Building Bearcats by providing specialized academic and behavioral support and services to students with diverse needs in order for them to be fully engaged in high-quality learning environments that challenge and prepare them to be well-rounded, active members of society.
- Effective general education is the key to improving special education
- Collaboration among educators leads to improved student achievement
- Each student has the right to a challenging, rewarding and inclusive education
- All students can learn and it is our responsibility to ensure that they do
- All students with disabilities living within Sherman ISD shall be identified and evaluated with regard to their need for special education services through an extensive Child Find process.
- A free and appropriate public education will be provided to all students with disabilities, including a challenging learning environment that ensures progress appropriate in light of the student’s disability.
- Each child with a disability will receive related services, accommodations, supports, or modifications that address the needs of the child to make academic progress and support annual goals.
TRANSITION AND EMPLOYMENT GUIDE - ENGLISH AND SPANISH https://www.texastransition.org/upload/page/0245/docs/TEA-Texas-Transition-And-Employment-Guide.pdf