Fred Douglass Early Childhood Center History - A Texas National Historical Commission marker was pla
Fred Douglass Panthers
Fred Douglass School was built in 1920
Fred Douglass School was named for the famed 19th century African American orator Frederick Douglass. The school was created as one of Sherman's first three public schools in 1879. Two houses one block west of our site now, were rented for the education of the area's African American children. In the first years of the Fred Douglass school, the student population was around 85. By 1907 the schools population was 350. Fire plagued Fred Douglass school in 1904 and again in 1919. The wood buildings were destroyed. In 1920 a three storied brick structure was erected at the corner of College and East Streets. The school grew rapidly and by 1939 plans for expansion were necessary. In 1943, educational improvements began to take place. More faculty members had advanced degrees and the curriculum was expanded to include African American History, business, and vocational courses. A national Honor Society Chapter was formed and the sports program was expanded. A modern building was erected in 1957.
10 years later the school district became fully integrated, and the Fred Douglass School became the district's Special Education Facility. It remained the center for a variety of programs for Sherman students through the end of the 20th century. In the summer of 2008, Sherman ISD began rennovations and on August 25, 2008, the school became Fred Douglass Early Childhood Center housing the Pre-kindergarten Program for Children with Disabilities (PPCD), Head Start and Pre-kindergarten.
Please click on the link at the left to view the words to the Fred Douglass school song.