Either a parent of a child, or a state education agency (SEA), other State agency, or Local Education Agency (LEA) may initiate a request for an initial evaluation to determine if the child is a child with a disability 34 CFR 300.301(b)
What We Do
- Academic and behavioral interventions should be documented in Eduphoria for interventions that were provided prior to referral or referral data gathered if a referral is made prior to interventions being provided.
- Throughout the levels of general education support, general education teachers, support staff, and instructional specialists should document student specific academic and behavioral interventions in Eduphoria.
Initial Assessment Referral Procedures
- Multi-Tiered Student Support (MTSS/RtI) and Special Education
- Campus Requesting Assessment Procedure
- Parent Requesting Assessment
- Student with an Obvious Disability Procedures
- Speech Only Referral Procedures
Other Initial Referral Procedures:
Sources for Initial Evaluation Referrals for Non-Enrolled Children:
- For children ages 3-5 who are not currently enrolled in Spring ISD (whose parents feel their child may have a disability) a screening will be set up by the PPCD Assessment Team. Based upon the results of the screening the multi-disciplinary assessment team will determine if a formal evaluation is necessary.
- For school age private school/home-school students who live within district boundaries parents have the right to request a full and individual evaluation. Forward requests to the Special Education Department Related Services Coordinator. (See Parent Request for Special Education Evaluation Procedures)
- For students in pre-kindergarten through grade 12, the referral source (i.e. parent, teacher, etc.) contacts the private school/home school coordinator (281-891-6294) for information necessary to initiate the referral.
- For students referred for the Preschool Program for Children with Disabilities (PPCD), the referral source (i.e. parent, teacher, etc.) should contact the Child Find Coordinator at 903-891-6439.
- The PPCD Assessment Team should consider all requests for referral and should screen each student. If the decision is to refer the student for an evaluation, notice and consent for the evaluation will be provided to the parent following the screening. Evaluations for students being considered for the Preschool Program for Children with Disabilities will be conducted by the PPCD Assessment Team located at Southridge Center (1001 Southridge, Houston, Texas 77090).
- The child will be assessed in all areas of suspected disability by the appropriate assessment staff members, including, but not limited to: a Teacher for the Visually Impaired, Teacher for the Auditory Impaired, Orientation & Mobility Specialist, Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist, Speech Therapist, Diagnostician and Licensed Specialist in School Psychology.
- For students presently attending a private school, the referral source should forward requests to the Special Education Department at 281-891-6265 to the Related Services Coordinator.
- For a homebound student requiring services at home or in an alternative setting, the Homebound Coordinator will contact the home campus diagnostician and provide the appropriate documentation. A notice and consent for evaluation will be provided to the parent for initiation of an Initial Referral. The student should not be withdrawn from the home campus as the student’s enrollment continues at the campus of attendance during the provision of homebound services. In addition, the “Report of Physical Examination” (Medical) is completed by the physician and forwarded to the homebound coordinator. See Homebound Procedures.
Initial Consent Date
The date of the initial consent is the date that the parent provides informed consent and signs in agreement for the evaluation. The evaluation must be completed within 45 school days of receipt of written, signed consent by the student’s parent or legal guardian. The ARD/IEP meeting to review the initial evaluation must be completed within 30 calendar days of the completion of the evaluation. For a transfer student, please see transfer procedures for timelines (Transfer Procedures for New Students)