Federal Regulations state that the IEP must include a statement of the special education and related services and supplementary aids and services, based on peer-reviewed research to the extent practicable, to be provided to the child, or on behalf of the child, and a statement of the program modifications or supports for school personnel that will be provided to enable the child:
- To advance appropriately toward attaining the annual goals
- To be involved in and make progress in the general education curriculum
- To participate in extracurricular and other nonacademic activities To be educated and participate with children with and without disabilities 34 CFR § 300.320 (a) (4)
What We DO
The ARD/IEP Committee decides what services are needed to:
- Enable the student to advance appropriately toward attaining his/her annual goals;
- Be involved and make progress in the general curriculum (including participation in extracurricular and nonacademic activities);
- Be educated and participate with non-disabled peers.
- The IEP must include a statement of needed supplementary aids and services, related services, and special education services to be provided to student or on behalf of the student.
- These services must be based on peer-reviewed research to the extent practicable.
- The IEP must contain a statement of any needed program modifications and supports for school personnel that will be provided.
- The ARD/IEP Committee determines the length of the student’s school day in the IEP.
Supplementary Areas to be addressed for Students with Autism
- For a student with autism, there are additional strategies that must be considered, based on peer-reviewed, research-based educational programming practices to the extent practicable.
- Specifically, the ARD/IEP Committee must consider:
- Additional social and behavioral strategies, including social skills supports and strategies, positive behavior support strategies, in-home and community-based training, and staff-to-student ratios;
- Additional instructional strategies, including minimal unstructured time, communication interventions, extended educational programming,future planning
- Additional services provided on behalf of the student, including parent/family training, and professional educator and staff support.