Sherman ISD Board of Trustee Elections
Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, the May 2, 2020 Sherman ISD Board of Trustee Election has been postponed until November 3, 2020. Current SISD trustees with terms expiring in May 2020 shall hold over until the November 3, 2020 election. Applications for a place on the ballot submitted by the deadline of February 14, 2020 will remain valid for the November 3, 2020 election; the filing period for applying for a place on the ballot will not be re-opened for the November uniform election date.
The Board of Trustees consist of seven board members elected to serve, without compensation, for overlapping terms of three years each. Elections are conducted annually in May. While candidates run for specific places, they do not represent specific geographical areas; rather, each represents Sherman ISD at large.
Elections of Trustees are held annually for three-year terms in cycles identified below:
Place 1 and 2 2021, 2024, 2027 and in three-year intervals thereafter.
Places 3, 4 and 5 2019, 2022, 2025 and in three-year intervals thereafter.
Places 6 and 7 2020, 2023, 2026 and in three-year intervals thereafter.
Terms for the Board of Trustees expire as follows:
Places 1 and 2 May 2021
Places 3, 4, and 5 May 2022
Places 6 and 7 May 2020
Following the annual election, the Board elects a president, vice-president, and secretary to serve one-year terms.
An application for a place on the ballot must be in writing; signed, sworn to by the candidate before a person authorized to administer an oath, and dated; timely filed with the district’s filing authority and contain specified information about the candidate:
- The candidate’s name, date of birth, and occupation;
- The candidate’s residence address or the address at which the candidate receives mail with a description of the location of the candidate’s residence;
- The candidate’s length of continuous residence in Texas and in the district as of the date the candidate swears to the application;
- If available, a public mailing address and email address at which the candidate receives correspondence relating to the candidate’s campaign;
- The office sought, including any place or other distinguishing number and an indication of whether the office sought is for a full or unexpired term;
- Statements that the candidate is a U.S. citizen; has not been determined by a court to be mentally incapacitated; has not been convicted of a felony; is aware of the nepotism law; and swears an oath to support and defend the U.S. and Texas Constitutions and laws.
An individual is eligible to be a candidate for, or elected or appointed to, a Texas school board if the individual:
- Is a United States citizen;
- Is 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election or on the date of appointment, as applicable;
- Has not been determined by a final judgement of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote;
- Has not be convicted of a felony;
- Has resided continuously in the state for 12 months and in the territory from which the office is elected for six months immediately preceding the following date:
- For an independent candidate, the date of the regular filing deadline for a candidate’s application for a place on the ballot;
- For a write-in candidate, the date of the election at which the candidate’s name is written in; or
- For an appointee to an office, the date the appointment is made;
- Is registered to vote in the territory from which the office is elected on the date described above; and
- Satisfies any other eligibility requirements prescribed by law for the office.
The next Board of Trustee election for Sherman ISD will be May 2, 2020 November 3, 2020. The first day to file an application for a place on the ballot in a school district’s general election is January 15, 2020 (the 30th day before the filing deadline). The filing deadline for a general election is 5:00 p.m. on February 14, 2020 (the 78th day before election day). Tex. Educ. Code § 11.055(a); Tex. Elec. Code § 144.005. The deadline to file a declaration of write-in candidacy is 5:00 p.m. on February 18, 2020 (the 74th day before election day).