Anyone planning to apply for a job, a college, or a scholarship (so that's just about everyone) should create a resume. Once you've created your resume, you can just add to it as needed.
Here are a few hints and suggestions to think about when you create your resume:
- Spelling/Grammar - A resume with great content can be completely destroyed by spelling/grammar errors. PROOFREAD & EDIT, and then have someone else proofread & edit.
- Readability - Easy-to-read fonts are best. Try Times New Roman or Arial.
- Professional Look - No fancy, colorful paper or unique fonts.
- 1 side of 1 page is best - The reader does not want to read a book. The reader should be able to read through your resume quickly and not have to hunt for information.
- Clear, Short Descriptions - Avoid writing in complete sentences or paragraphs. Use action words when possible.
- Amount of Info - Try to avoid too much info or overly-generic info.
- Be Honest - Don't overstate your experience. Any "exaggerations" will come out eventually.
Where to Build a Resume:
- You can build a FREE resume in Canva, Google Documents or Resume Genius! Don't pay to create a resume!
- In Naviance, click on the About Me tab.
- You can also use Microsoft Office on a school computer!
Here are a few basic resume examples. It is perfectly ok to start with building a basic resume.